How to make kombucha at home: step by step recipe
The same kombucha can alleviate the course of many diseases.
founder of the International Institute of Integrative Nutrition
What are the benefits of kombucha? How to make kombucha at home?
Kombucha is a trendy drink from a long time ago. In Soviet families, a three-liter jar of kombucha was common, and the drink first appeared 2,000 years ago in China. Scientific studies have proven that kombucha is rich in substances beneficial to the human body. Now in stores there are many varieties of kombucha: with raspberries, mint, basil, ginger and turmeric.
Benefits of kombucha
A healing drink based on kombucha is an ideal replacement for juices and lemonades in the heat. The main advantage of kombucha is its probiotic “character”: it restores the intestinal flora after antibiotic treatment and effectively strengthens the immune system.
The fermented drink improves digestion and stimulates metabolism. Kombucha is a natural source of prebiotics and a favorable environment for their reproduction. The drink helps prevent the development of gastritis and ulcers.
- normalizes blood pressure and cholesterol levels, which protects against the development of atherosclerosis;
- facilitates the course of type 2 diabetes mellitus (kombucha should be infused with hypoglycemic herbal preparations);
- relieves insomnia and improves the quality of sleep;
- calms the nerves and improves concentration;
- facilitates the course of menopause;
- increases energy levels.
How to make kombucha at home
Important! If you want to make a drink yourself, pay attention to hygiene and sterility. If the body (upper part) of the fungus has become dark, it cannot be used – the fungus is clearly “sick” due to violated sanitation rules. When preparing, strictly observe sterility.
You will need:
- hot water – 1 l;
- leaf tea (black or green) – 5 g;
- sugar – 75 g (2 tablespoons);
- kombucha (mushroom, SCOBY) — 1 pc.
- Pour hot water into a sterilized liter jar, dissolve sugar in it and add tea.
- Let the tea cool down to room temperature (25–27ºС).
- Strain the tea and place the kombucha in a jar.
- Cover the jar with gauze or a towel. We leave to ferment for 7-10 days in a well-ventilated place at a temperature of about 24ºС, without direct exposure to sunlight.
- Carefully take out the kombucha, strain it and you are ready to drink.
I recommend drinking kombucha separately from food. Preferably 1-3 hours before a meal or 1-1.5 hours after a meal.
The optimal volume is 200–300 ml of the drink two to three times a day for both women and men.
Prepare kombucha and replace the usual kvass, lemonades and juices with it. Let this summer be not only tasty, but also healthy! Take care of yourself and be healthy.
Read about other healthy pp-drinks in this article.
5 recipes for healthy cold drinks instead of ice coffee