© FIDE official website (Niki Riga)Jan Nepomniachtchi
MOSCOW, 22 Jul – Russian Ian Nepomniachtchi takes sixth place on the third day of the third stage of the Grand Chess Tour, which takes place in Zagreb.
On the third day, the grandmasters played three games of rapid. Nepomniachtchi won with white against Bulgarian Veselin Topalov, with black against Frenchman Maxime Vachier-Lagrave and lost with black to Croatian Ivan Sarich.
Magnus Carlsen, who refused to play a match for the world chess crown with Nepomniachtchi, won with white against the Dutchman Jorden van Forest, with black against Sarich, and also drew with black against the American Wesley So.
Following the results of nine rounds, the table looks like this:
1. Jorden van Forest (12, Netherlands);
2. Magnus Carlsen (11, Norway);
2. Alireza Firouzja (11 points, France);
2. Wesley So (11, USA);
5. Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (10, France);
6. Jan Nepomniachtchi (9, Russia);
7. Shahriyar Mamedyarov (8, Azerbaijan);
8. Leinier Dominguez (7, USA);
9. Ivan Sarich (6, Croatia);
10. Veselin Topalov (5, Bulgaria).
Blitz competitions will be held from 23 to 24 July.