© official FIDE websiteJan Nepomniachtchi
MOSCOW, 21 July – Russian Ian Nepomniachtchi takes seventh place on the second day of the third stage of the Grand Chess Tour, which takes place in Zagreb.
On the second day, the grandmasters played three games of rapid. Nepomniachtchi won with white against American Leinier Dominguez, drew with black against US representative Wesley So, and lost with white to Dutchman Jorden van Forest.
Carlsen, who on Wednesday announced his refusal to play for the world chess crown with Nepomniachtchi, drew with white against Dominguez and Alireza Firouzja of France, and also lost with black to Azerbaijani Shakhriyar Mamedyarov.
After six rounds, the table looks like this:
1. Alireza Firouzja (9 points, France);
2. Wesley So (8, USA);
2. Jorden van Forest (8, Netherlands);
4. Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (7, France);
5. Magnus Carlsen (6, Norway);
5. Shahriyar Mamedyarov (6, Azerbaijan);
7. Ian Nepomniachtchi (5, Russia);
8. Leinier Dominguez (4, USA);
8. Ivan Sarich (4, Croatia);
10. Veselin Topalov (3, Bulgaria).
The rapid tournament consists of nine games and will end on July 22. Blitz competitions will be held from 23 to 24 July.