© press service of the Wimbledon tournamentNovak Djokovic
MOSCOW, 25 Aug – Former world number one Serb Novak Djokovic will not take part in the US Open tennis championship (US Open), the athlete said on his Twitter page.
“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to come to New York for the US Open. Thanks to the fans for the support. Good luck to the other players. I will keep in good shape, stay positive and look forward to the next opportunity. See you tennis world,” Djokovic wrote on Twitter.
On Thursday, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on its official website updated the rules for the entry of foreigners into the country, according to which Djokovic will not be able to count on participation in the US Open tennis championship.
Earlier, Djokovic said that he would not be vaccinated against COVID-19, even under the threat of missing tournaments. This season, the Serbian was no longer allowed to the Australian Open. For the same reason, Djokovic had to miss tournaments in Indian Wells, California and Miami in the first half of the season. He also did not take part in the Masters series tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati.
It was previously announced that the organizers of the US Open (US Open) will not require participants to have mandatory vaccination against coronavirus, but will respect the position of the US government regarding the entry of unvaccinated foreigners into the country. Djokovic has been named to the US Open.
The US Open, the last of the four Grand Slams, will run from August 29 to September 11. Its reigning winner in the men’s singles is Russia’s Daniil Medvedev.