Avatar has 4 sequels. How long do they try to make the most expensive film in history
The second film suffered a very difficult fate.
Continued “Avatar“have already become a kind of meme: after the incredible success of the first part, James Cameron decided to simultaneously shoot two sequels at once – as they once did with”Pirates of the Caribbean“.
However, something went wrong as it’s been more than 12 years and we still haven’t even seen Avatar 2. It seems to be still planned to be released in December 2022 – 13 years after the first part. The sequel will also take place a decade after the original’s finale. Cameron has already managed to significantly revise his plans – instead of two sequels, they shot four at once. Real precedent.
We decided to briefly retell how the creation of the sequel to Avatar went – and how many times it was postponed.
- In the fall of 2010, they planned to make two sequels, they wanted to release Avatar 2 in December 2014and the third part – in a year.
- In August 2012, they announce the postponement of the premiere for two years: “Avatar 2” will be released in December 2016, “Avatar 3” – in December 2017. At the same time, they announce Avatar 4 – they want to show it in December 2018.
- In January 2015, the premiere was again postponed: now on December 2017. The third and fourth parts are going to be released at the end of 2018 and 2019.
- In January 2016, the premiere was again postponed, and in April the fifth part was announced: Avatar 2 will be released in end of 2018Avatar 3 at the end of 2020, Avatar 4 at the end of 2022, and Avatar 5 at the end of 2023.
- In April 2017, the film was postponed again, until December 2020. Avatar 3 is expected to release at the end of 2021, Avatar 4 at the end of 2024, and Avatar 5 at the end of 2025.
- In September 2017, filming for the four films finally begins, just six years after the original plan.
- In May 2019, when Disney completed the purchase of Fox, the release of the films was again postponed: the premiere of Avatar 2 is scheduled for December 2021Avatara 3 for December 2023, Avatara 4 for December 2025, and Avatar 5 for December 2027.
- In March 2020, after the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, the filming of Avatars was frozen for three months.
- In the summer of 2020, due to the pandemic, Disney again makes adjustments to the schedule: now “Avatar 2” will be released December 16, 2022“Avatar 3” – December 20, 2024, “Avatar 4” – December 18, 2026, “Avatar 5” – December 22, 2028.
- In the spring of 2022, Disney announces the title of “Avatar 2” – “Avatar: Path of Water“. Later, the first trailer for the sequel appears. The events of the film take place 10 years after the first part, and the main characters will be the protagonists of the original.
Apparently, “Avatar” has grown to four sequels in the process of expanding the story. Initially, many of the actors from the first part were not supposed to return (in fact, many of them died there), but gradually Cameron returned everyone, including Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang.
At the same time, no one reveals the budget of Avatars – but, according to estimates, we are waiting for the most expensive film project in history. The first part at one time cost about $ 400-450 million, taking into account marketing (a third went to it). They decided to shoot the sequels at the same time, which is a serious adventure for Hollywood.
On the one hand, in this way it is possible to save more money than to shoot each tape separately. On the other hand, the simultaneous costs seem quite fabulous. It is estimated that more than $1 billion will be spent on the production of four films alone.
I want to watch Avatars if only for this reason – to find out why Cameron needed to shoot four films at once, on which he will spend almost 20 years of his life by the time the finale is released.
This is a real event in the industry. Only one person can afford this – the creator of “Terminator”, “Aliens”, “Titanic” and “Avatar”. His name is James Cameron.
At the same time, it is interesting how the sequels will be perceived by the audience. Disney may have spent a lot of money on all four films, but if Avatar: The Way of Water doesn’t perform well at the box office, plans for the remaining three sequels could change dramatically.
Unless something completely extraordinary happens, the premiere of Avatar 2 will no longer be postponed and the film will indeed be released on December 16, 2022. Moreover, three months before the release of the sequel, Disney will show a restored version of the first part in theaters.
Here, however, lies the most unpleasant fact for Russian viewers – neither the Avatar remaster nor the sequel may be released in the country. Many cinemas have already predicted that they will not last until the end of the summer if the state does not begin to support the industry on a large scale. In addition, Disney is in no hurry to return to Russia.
Marvel movies are doomed unless something changes